I didn’t receive my bill; why do I have to pay interest when it wasn’t my fault?

Unfortunately, not receiving a bill does not protect you from the accumulation of interest (State Statute 12-130 & State Statute 12-146). The State is clear that interest is not to be waived. The bills are addressed as reported by the DMV on your registration. If you have a change of address you must report that to the DMV to get the address corrected. It is the taxpayer’s responsibility to inquire with the town if a tax bill is not received.  Our phone number is 203-270-4320.  The information is also on our website at www.newtown-ct.gov, go to Town Departments, go to Tax Collector and click on pay taxes online.