Welcome and thank you for visiting the Town Clerk’s website.
This website’s purpose is to provide you with information
about these services and many more.
As always, you are welcome to stop in or call
if you need further assistance.
The Town Clerk’s staff is ready to serve you.
The Town Clerk’s Office serves the Town by performing over 500 duties mandated by the Secretary of the State as well as over 100 duties mandated by the Town. Some of these functions include:
- Recording and indexing of Land Records. All of the Land Records including Deeds, Mortgages and Survey Maps from the year 1711 to the present are maintained in our office.
- Maintaining Vital Records. All Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Union records involving Newtown residents as well as those non-residents occurring in Newtown from the year 1711 to the present are maintained in our office.
- Issuing licenses. Marriage Licenses, and Dog Licenses are issued by our office.
- Managing Public Records. Agendas of all Boards and Commissions and Minutes of Town Meetings are maintained in our office. Trade Name Certificates for businesses doing business in the Town of Newtown are filed in our office.
- Managing Elections. It is the Town Clerk’s responsibility to oversee all aspects of any Town, State and Federal election, primaries and referendums. The Town Clerk generates documents involving Absentee Ballots, sample ballots, creating the list of offices to be filled, candidate committees, campaign financing and legal ads. The Town Clerk is also responsible for issuing, mailing and recording absentee ballots to the point of delivery the day of the election.
- Veterans Service Contact Person. Public Act 13-34, An Act Requiring Cities and Towns to Designate a Veterans' Service Contact Person This bill requires cities and towns in the State of Connecticut to appoint a town employee to serve as a veterans' service contact, who will act as an ombudsman that could guide veterans to the appropriate local, state or federal resources.
Connecticut’s Freedom of Information Laws require that most of the Town records, with the exception of Birth and Veterans Discharge papers be open for public inspection.
|Debbie Aurelia Halstead, Master Municipal Clerk MMC, MCTC||Town Clerk (Elected Term: 2017-2021)|
|Aileen Barreto, Certified CT Town Clerk, CCTC||Assistant Town Clerk|
|Monica Duhancik||Assistant Town Clerk|
|Renee Weimann, Certified CT Town Clerk, CCTC||Assistant Town Clerk|